Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hiding in the Stacks - Observation and Evaluation

I've done several program observations for my other youth classes and the time has come to do another one… though by the time this gets posted, I will have already observed my program and only some of the later reflections in this post will be written in the present…

In preparation, I gathered some information about the demographics of the community so I could get a better understanding of the target audience. I also looked into what the librarians involved knew about the topic of the program.

I grabbed my notebook and set my mind to furious note-taking mode. I knew I had to be able to capture the atmosphere of the room as well as be able to describe anything and everything that I saw. I was also ready to talk to some of the teens, that is if they were willing to talk…

- Post Observation –

I think attending the teen Anime Club was an interesting experience… especially since I am very interested in anime and manga. I think that one thing that helps me in being able to evaluate this program is my strong background in the genre, which allowed me to see what could be improved, at least in what was being offered… I have a ton of ideas running through my head alongside the critiques that I seem to be wanting to write down at the same time. [my brain feels like it is going to explode!]

Evaluating this program should be fun and interesting.

I should also mention at this point that I may be able to actually get my hands on running one of these programs at some point, so this evaluation will be able to be used to create a proposal that may actually be used at some point in my future… [fingers crossed]

No comments:

Post a Comment